As the literature on military-media relations grows, it is informed by antagonism either from journalists who report on wars or from ex-soldiers in their memoirs. Academics who attempt more judicious accounts rarely have any professional military or media experience.
A working knowledge of the operational constraints of both professions underscores Shooting the Messenger. A veteran war correspondent and think tank director, Paul L. Moorcraft has served in the British Ministry of Defence, while historian-by-training Philip M. Taylor is a professor of international communications who has lectured widely to the U.S. military and at NATO institutions. Some of the topics they examine in this wide-ranging history of military-media relations are:
- the interface between soldiers and civilian reporters covering conflicts - the sometimes grey area between reporters' right or need to know and the operational security constraints imposed by the military - the military's manipulation of journalists who accept it as a trade-off for safer battlefield access - the resultant gap between images of war and their reality - the evolving nature of media technology and the difficulties and opportunities this poses to the military - journalistic performance in reporting conflict as an observer or a participant
Moorcraft and Taylor provide a bridge over which each side can pass and a path to mutual understanding.
|Book:||Shooting The Messenger: The Political Impact Of War Reporting|
|Author:||Paul L. Moorcraft Philip M. Taylor|
|Publisher:||Potomac Books Inc.|
|Number of Pages:||336|
Please Note -
* We sell only NEW book and do NOT sell old or used books.
* The book images and summary displayed may be of a different edition or binding of the same title.
* Book reviews are not added by BookAdda.
* Price can change due to reprinting, price change by publisher / distributor.
BookAdda (www.bookadda.com) is a premier online book store in selling books online across India at the most competitive prices. BookAdda sells fiction, business, non fiction, literature, AIEEE, medical, engineering, computer book, etc. The books are delivered across India FREE of cost.