Egypt is as old as history itself. It is home to some of the world's greatest treasures, a pantheon of dazzling gods and kings, and the roots of the civilised world. Today, it is the political and cultural heart of the Arab world and a country of startling contrasts and contradictions.
"River in the Desert" is Paul William Roberts' account of his travels through Egypt, delving into the hidden depths of this great country - at once familiar and yet unknown. Setting out to explore every facet of ancient and modern Egypt, Roberts encounters magicians, politicians, monks and archaeologists. In Cairo, he spends a terrifying night alone in the central chamber of the Great Pyramid and is smuggled into the clandestine gathering of a Sufi tariqa. In Nubia, he is carried by boat to the great temple of Isis at Philae and reads Death on the Nilewhilst sleeping in Agatha Christie's bedroom. He embarks on an eventful voyage up the Nile from Aswan to Luxor, experiences star-filled nights and tranquil days with the isolated Ma'aza Bedouin and spends time with the monks of Mount Sinai. Over the course of several years, Roberts discovers a country that is as rich and enduring as the Nile, carving a fertile swathe through the arid desert
About The Author:
Paul William Roberts is the author of several acclaimed books, including Journey of the Magi. He writes for Harpers, Vanity Fair, The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly, Washington Post, New York Times and others.
Table Of Contents:
Cairo: Tea in the Sahara with Michael Jackson
• Hearts with Wings
• Poetry and the Dust of Sorrow
• The Grand Illusion
• The Prison of History
• Symphonies in Stone
• The Knaves and the Graves
• Sacred Science and High Wisdom
• The Professor and the Heretic
• Howard and Porchey: The Real Curse of Tutankhamen's Tomb
• Shelley's Poem and Captain Bill's Hot Air
• The Neighbourhood Bully
• The Last Free Men
• Behind the Zulu Mask
• From Peace to Pizza
• A Careful Rehearsal of Death
• Moses' Legs and Liars in Very High Places
• Not Another Book on Egypt
• An Invisible City
• Unknown Soldiers and Last Resorts
• Inside the Gates of Eden
• Bull's Head Soup
• Islands in the Sand
• Epilogue: Cry Me a River
• Suggested Selected Reading List
|Book:||River In The Desert: A Modern Traveller In Ancient Egypt|
|Author:||Paul William Roberts|
|Publisher:||Oxford University Press|
Please Note -
* We sell only NEW book and do NOT sell old or used books.
* The book images and summary displayed may be of a different edition or binding of the same title.
* Book reviews are not added by BookAdda.
* Price can change due to reprinting, price change by publisher / distributor.
BookAdda (www.bookadda.com) is a premier online book store in selling books online across India at the most competitive prices. BookAdda sells fiction, business, non fiction, literature, AIEEE, medical, engineering, computer book, etc. The books are delivered across India FREE of cost.