In this timely volume, the authors systematically analyze postmodern theory to evaluate its relevance for critical social theory and radical politics today. Best and Kellner provide: * An introduction and critique of the work of Foucault, Deleuze and Guattari, Baudrillard, Lyotard, Laclau and Mouffe, and Jameson, which assess the varying contributions and limitations of postmodern theory
* A discussion of postmodern feminist theory and the politics of identity
* A systematic study of the origin of the discourse of the postmodern in historical, sociological, cultural, and philosophical studies.
The authors claim that while postmodern theory provides insights into contemporary developments, it lacks adequate methodological and political perspectives to provide a critical social theory and radical politics for the present age.
A concluding chapter provides an evaluation of postmodern theory in relation to the tumultuous events of 1989, developments in contemporary capitalism, and changes in East-West relations. Best and Kellner also present a model of a multiperspectival social theory which combines postmodern and modern perspectives.
|Author:||Douglas Kellner Steven Best Phd|
|Publisher:||The Guilford Press|
|Number of Pages:||324|
Please Note -
* We sell only NEW book and do NOT sell old or used books.
* The book images and summary displayed may be of a different edition or binding of the same title.
* Book reviews are not added by BookAdda.
* Price can change due to reprinting, price change by publisher / distributor.
BookAdda (www.bookadda.com) is a premier online book store in selling books online across India at the most competitive prices. BookAdda sells fiction, business, non fiction, literature, AIEEE, medical, engineering, computer book, etc. The books are delivered across India FREE of cost.